Mooie quotes, weirde reacties tegen DnD spelers

Deel ervaringen, stel vragen en geef tips. Het subforum voor alles wat met RPG te maken heeft!
v1nce

Bericht door v1nce »

Just got an odd one (sort of) last week. I don't know what happened, but for some reason one of my co-workers had to go get her son out of school. He's about 13 or 14, and while not one of the "super-cool" kids, he's not a geek or a nerd, either. I'd say he's moderately cool.

But there's hope for him.

I had printed up some stuff from the site here during my lunch break and had inadvertently left it on my desk while I went out to deliver more denture cases to dentists. When I came back, he was poring over it while on the site (he was looking at the "how do you play" section). I just smirked and said "You got me. I'm a geek. Don't tell anyone else." He looked at me with that glazed "I Want My DMG" look and said "This is the coolest **** I've ever seen!"

(I stepped into the next room and wrung my hands with an evil grin and hissed "Excelleeeeeennnnnnt...!")
v1nce

Bericht door v1nce »

We were (and still are) into various RPG's and war-games. We both paint miniatures for Warhammer 40k/Fantasy. He is a fantastic painter and does a spectacular job on dragon minis. He had set up a few tables to sell some of his minis (including some of his very fine dragons) at a local mall that was having an arts and crafts fair.

So I was standing there chatting with him while he painted some new figures (and selling some to any who wanted to buy) when this old woman (60 maybe 70 years) walks up, looks at the minis and various gaming paraphernalia he had set up.

She stands there for a few minutes taking it all in, looks at us and asks, "Is this like that Dungeons and Dragons stuff?" We told her, yes it was kind of like that. She then proclaims in a venomous voice, "I don't care how pretty you paint them, they're still ugly to me!"

Now mind you, two things were immediately obvious to us about this old lady.

1) She was toting an Omega Book Store bag full of what I must presume was Christian literature.

2) She herself was painted with so much makeup I could have figured her for Tammy Faye Bakker.

Without missing a beat I replied, "I could say the same about you."

Suffice to say, she left in a outraged huff. My buddy was too busy trying to catch his breath from laughing to formulate a response.
v1nce

Bericht door v1nce »

I know a guy that did the same thing - not because he really believed it but because he wanted to be a good Christian. He later gave up on the Christianity thing, though - it had a lot to do with the church insisting that he really should marry his girlfriend (she was also in the church) which they did in a civil-only ceremony (because they couldn't afford the church wedding yet). Then a year later she ran off with his business partner. After his business collapsed, he had a nervous breakdown, took a sabbatical doing missionary work for the church in another city, and finally started to get his life back together, he had a visit from his priest who berated him for not working harder to save his marriage, demanded to know where the tithes for the last six months were and no excuses (he had no money, the business had failed and he was doing the missionary work), and informed him that all the women in the church had been informed that so far as the church were concerned he was still married and any relationship with him would be adultery and sinful.

All things considered, I think his punching the priest out through his front door was a perfectly reasonable reaction for this diatribe, but the church saw it differently and excommunicated him. He now regards it as one of the best things they could have done as he can now live his life the way he wants to ... including playing RPGs again!
v1nce

Bericht door v1nce »

Mock26]The weirdest reaction? "I'll give you for each book that you have in that box!"

The situation was back in the 80's, when Pat Pullman was running across the country preaching of the evils of D&D, and a local religious group had a D&D bonfire. They almost cleared out the local book store of all of their stock of D&D products and invited everyone who played to come, burn their D&D stuff, and repent. Well, I was friends with the owner of the store (and she hated intolerance) and she sold me something like 15 books at cost. I put them in a box with TSR on the side, and took them to the bonfire. I then made a show of tossing them in, one at a time, and the minister asked me to show everyone the evil books I was burning. So, I showed him. They were bibles. He was horrified! I think I made about a 0 profit that day.

This group had 3 or 4 such burning parties. I only performed my stunt for the first one, and he was so horrified at what I had done that I really didn't have the heart to tell him that when he bought the D&D stuff all he was doing was ensuring that TSR would grow bigger and print even more demonic material.

As for the regular world, the strangest reaction was someone crossing themselves and backing away from me.

I lack the words to describe my awe fo wrote:

The weirdest reaction? "I'll give you $10 for each book that you have in that box!"

The situation was back in the 80's, when Pat Pullman was running across the country preaching of the evils of D&D, and a local religious group had a D&D bonfire. They almost cleared out the local book store of all of their stock of D&D products and invited everyone who played to come, burn their D&D stuff, and repent. Well, I was friends with the owner of the store (and she hated intolerance) and she sold me something like 15 books at cost. I put them in a box with TSR on the side, and took them to the bonfire. I then made a show of tossing them in, one at a time, and the minister asked me to show everyone the evil books I was burning. So, I showed him. They were bibles. He was horrified! I think I made about a $100 profit that day.

This group had 3 or 4 such burning parties. I only performed my stunt for the first one, and he was so horrified at what I had done that I really didn't have the heart to tell him that when he bought the D&D stuff all he was doing was ensuring that TSR would grow bigger and print even more demonic material.
v1nce

Bericht door v1nce »

Back long, long ago... When Geraldo was doing his level best to make a name for himself by trying to demonstrate the suicidal tendencies of D&D players and MMS (Mad Moms Syndrome) had taken root all through out our fair land, I had my most memorable reaction to my playing.

One of the women at church whose son my best friend and I had invited over to play D&D one Sunday found out about the invite. She went to the pastors and begged them to intervene before our souls were utterly destroyed. They promised to look into the matter. The pastors had all heard the stories, but thankfully, being Methodist, weren't going to take them at face value. That evening, Pastors Bill and Dan showed up at our house. They talked with my dad for a while, then called me downstairs. It was so odd, having these two ministers sitting there asking if they could borrow my D&D books for the week. My dad, who had never had a problem with the game, especially seeing as how my grades had shot up since I had taken it up as a hobby, told me to let them. I was afraid they'd be burned, but since I trusted them, I agreed. Turns out my buddy Mike agreed, too.

The next Friday evening, we got a call from Pastor Dan. He wanted to know if I could get my gaming buddies together and meet at his place for a game session. He would provide the refreshments, all I needed to do was bring some players. Again, I agreed and showed up with 4 or 5 guys in tow. Both pastors, the associate pastor, the assistant pastor, the youth pastor, and several church board members were there when we showed up. All I could think of was "This is an intervention". How wrong I was.

I turned out that the assembled group had been passing around our books all week, and found nothing "Satanic" or "suicidally provocative" about these books. Most of the readers had found the rules as clear as mud (1st Ed was written at an almost post-grad level), so they wanted a demonstration to better understand what they had tried reading about. That's why they wanted us game for them, so they could observe. We must have played for nearly 8 hours. It was more interesting than any of us expected.

All these highly educated people were astounded that a bunch of middle schoolers had developed such off-the-cuff math skills, advanced story-telling abilities, and used a college level vocabulary to discuss aspects of our game (Who knew that words like longevity, heirophant, and polymorph were supposed to be 6 years above our reading level?). A few of them even tried following along in the rule books or making up characters of their own. It was crazy, but they were so excited about the benefits that could be imparted that they seemed to forget all the negative hype that had been thrown around the media. By the time we left, it seemed that the church wasn't going to worry about D&D any longer. What actually resulted was much stranger than I could have guessed as I fell asleep that night.

During church the next day, Pastor Dan announced that due to the concerns of several members of the congregation, they had fully investigated D&D and had come to a conclusion. They not only said that it was perfectly safe ("Those who decry it the loudest are those that understand it the least"), but that starting in two weeks, a regular D&D game would be held at the church every Saturday night, chaperoned by the youth pastor and any other interested parties, and that the church was ordering a complete set of the books so as not to force those running the game to transport a small library every week. Most folks looked vaguely confused as to why the church would bother making such a big deal about a game. Many more were upset that the "Satan game" had fooled such good men. I'm pretty sure the rest were as amused by the outcome as my father was.

There has been a role-playing group in the church almost every weekend since. They supported a gaming convention in the community center once a year for a long time until it got too big and was forced to move to a larger venue. There have been D&D themed weddings, trips to rennaisance fairs, geek-themed movie nights, and other gamer-friendly phenomenon ever since. Here, 25 years later, it now has a huge fellowship of gamers and the current pastors sometimes even let D&D references slip during their sermons. Who could have guessed all this would stem from one kid asking another kid, with a wack-a-doo for a mom, if he wanted to play an elf?
v1nce

Bericht door v1nce »

i had a game going with about 6 or 7 others on a regular basis. But for one week we had to do it at a friends apartment complex out in the ghetto. The apartment we were in was a second floor one. So we get to gaming, having a couple drinks, and having a really normal fun game. About midnight there was an overwhelming stench of marijuana..no idea where it came from. It permeated everything but no one was smoking it. We kinda let it slide since no one objected to getting a second hand high while we gamed. so for about an hour an a half, we all sat around, played our regular game and got totally baked cuz of the stoners downstairs. They must have had a BUNCH of people there smoking the entire time cuz they were loud.

About 3:30'ish we hear 3 gunshots. We lock the doors and call the cops... as did MANY neighbors. We kept gaming until we heard a knock at the door. It was the cops responding to the call.

Problem was we all looked stoned: red glazed eyes, place reeked of pot. and we were in the living room with stacks of books, dice, pencil's and paper. Cops tore into us real fast. "What is this nonsense?" , "Looks like a hippie party to me", I even got searched cuz they weren't convinced we didn't smoke any weed.

had to explain to the cops, my parents and many others why i spent the evening in jail with 6 other DnD gamers, cuz there was an incident unrelated to our own.
v1nce

Bericht door v1nce »

used to mess with part of the words to "Losing My Religion", where I'd sing:
That's me in the dungeon,
That's me in the pit-trap
Losing all my hit points
Oh no I've bled too much
(DM's Part) You haven't bled enough...

A knife in the back and you're to blame,
You give D&D a bad name.
v1nce

Bericht door v1nce »

He he he:

Gaat volgens mij over 4th/wow/game design:

-
OMG! The SKY IS FALLING! --JoeGKushner

Myself, I plan to masturbate less -- der_kluge

I know that I've never really liked d20. I think it was designed by a bunch of hacks --- Monte Cook

I am sickened beyond belief. The half-orc wizard is obviously the best possible PC, and I only had to read 10 pages of the book to figure it out. D&D is dead to me! -- Mike Mearls

FWIW, I'm on the design team and I pretty much find WoW as fun and interesting as banging my head against a brick wall. -- Mike Mearls

You happen to say that 4E reminds you of the reasons you decided against a career as a special-Ed teacher --noted rpg author Darrin Drader
Thekkur
Forum Master

Bericht door Thekkur »

Hahah,dat klinkt als een mooi moment voor player mutany :D
Overigens lijkt het me toch ook niet zo heel erg boeiend om drie sessies lang een boer te spelen... maar ja, je weet het niet!

Hoe kun je in godesnaam een burnout krijgen als het verhaal zo tof was als die speler omschrijft? Daar moet dan toch iets zijn misgegaan...
"Stop! Jullie komen niet langs mij! Glupert heeft jullie snode plannen door!"
v1nce

Bericht door v1nce »

I rest my case:

Party Splits sucken (vaak)
Manga invloedden in een Fantasy RPG = Fail
Gmen is een kunst (die ik ook nog niet meester ben!) en sommige mensen moeten het gewoon bij vingerverven houden! ;)

Maar klinkt wel als een roteinde en super vervelende sessie van een campaign die aardig begon. Die tweede GM was duidelijk powermad en totaal niet fair.

Dat van die burnout snap ik persoonlijk wel! Als ik twee tot vijf weken elke week een sessie heb gedaan en die zijn supertof (als dat al gebeurt en dat is zeldzaam) dan heb ik waarschijnlijk heel erg mijn best gedaan en veel energie gestopt in ook het runnen van de sessie zelf, juist ook als alles goed gewinged is. Als de spelers dan de week erop een nog betere finale verwachtten kan ik me voorstellen dat ik zoiets heb van: Hey, effe pauze. :)
Vincere
Supreme Grandmaster

Bericht door Vincere »

Hier nog een aantal aardige anekdotes:

http://unicornjelly.com/urulesmystories.html

Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
Mike74
Ridder

Bericht door Mike74 »

Coole link, Vincere!!

Dat verhaal van die one in a million die roll is mooi! :)
Thekkur
Forum Master

Bericht door Thekkur »

Heb alleen die gelezen,maar is idd een mooi verhaal!
Thekkur
Forum Master

Bericht door Thekkur »

Very nice and inspiring! :D
Mike74
Ridder

Bericht door Mike74 »

Damn, die is echt super mooi!
Plaats reactie