Mooie quotes, weirde reacties tegen DnD spelers

Deel ervaringen, stel vragen en geef tips. Het subforum voor alles wat met RPG te maken heeft!
v1nce

Mooie quotes, weirde reacties tegen DnD spelers

Bericht door v1nce »

Give a player a fish, and he’ll probably try to sell it to an NPC fisherman.

Teach a player to fish, and next week he’ll show up with the book, “The Complete Adventuring Fisherman”. He’ll start hunting for some monstrous leviathan to catch and enslave, and he’ll be dual-wielding two fishing poles.

~from "DM of the Rings"
Laatst gewijzigd door v1nce op woensdag 20 januari 2010, 22:52, 2 keer totaal gewijzigd.
v1nce

Bericht door v1nce »

My favorite one so far? I'd have to say last year, when this guy I knew walked in on me and some of my buddies playing D&D. Now, this guy is without a doubt one of the all-time nerdiest people I've ever known--I mean, video-games, anime, manga, the whole she-bang, not to mention the whole "looking-weird-and-being-a-physics-major" thing. The conversation went something like this.

Nerd: Hay goys, whatcha doing?
Me: Oh, just playing some D&D.
Nerd: (Smirking) OHHHHHH. Pshhhhh.
Me: Anything the matter, (Nerd)?
Nerd: Ha, nothing. You guys are lame. *Walks out*

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.
v1nce

Bericht door v1nce »

First off, I have to state that I fight (MMA) and grapple (jiujitsu +wrestling...which I did thru college). Between that and playing D&D, nobody seems to ever know what I'm talking about. This story requires that backround.

I recorded a tape of a fight I had and was showing it to a few of my friends who were excited to see it because they couldn't attend the fight (was 7 hours from home). Unfortunately they invited a friend who invited two girls that I never met... after about 2 minutes of conversation with them, I couldn't decide if I would rather be talking to them or be out in the yard tied to a tree, having the entire collective group hurl lawn-darts at my goin.

I put in my tape and the girls (who have apparently never seen a fight) reacted shocked and horrified. I started getting all sorts of questions from them about, "why do you want to hurt people? Are you angry?...I bet you had a troubled childhood, what happened?"

I answered the mildly intoxicated stream of questions in order, but to no avail. They were both convinced something was wrong with me.

About an hour later, my friend and I started talking about running a game, trying to avoid conversation with the two intoxicated women. One asked if we were talking about "that dungeons and dragons" game.

I said no.

We started talking again and about 15 minutes later the same one said, "you ARE talking about that game! That's why your violent! That game de-humanizes people. It teaches the kid and kids (no IM not kidding) that hurting each other r OK."

She followed by a drunken speech about how eating meat was bad and how we should stop hurting each other spiritually thru... and I quote "DUNGEON-FIGHTING"

I don't recall the drunk ramblings that came out of this girls mouth exactly (they were both sloshed by that time) but the word DUNGEON-FIGHTING was now being used at a rate of about once per sentence-fragment.

Apparently now D&D and MMA were both different forms of "DUNGEON-FIGHTING" and if we didn't eat meat we wouldn't have these kinds of problems.

To this day, I still feel I should have opted for the lawn-darts right off the bat.
v1nce

Bericht door v1nce »

girl: "So what do you do all day?"
me: "Eh, play guitar, video games, and Dungeons and Dragons."
girl: "Woah, cool. I've always wanted to, like, sacrifice a cat or something."
me: *backs away slowly* We dont let girls come to our games. "

--
oh wait once i was with my uncle and my brother in a used book store in santa cruz we came up to the counter with some books. the is this stunning girl there. now normally i have no problem talking with girls but she turned to me and says "wow! they have role playing games here?" all i could stammer out was a "umm a yea" i blushed berated myslef for not showing her where the books were and asking her for her # just in case she would like to play some-time. that was the only point in my life where i regret not doing something.:embarrass :raincloud :OMG! :inlove:
--

Them:"You realize you won't get into the Kingdom of Heaven if you play that game."
Me: "Are you gonna be there?"
Them: "Of course."
Me: "Then I find this arrangement satisfactory."
Vincere
Supreme Grandmaster

Bericht door Vincere »

Vincere schreef:Mensen die na zichzelf posten in plaats van de Edit-knop te gebruiken, daar kan ik nog mee leven. Maar een spelfout in de titel van de thread? Nooit!

;)

Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
v1nce

Bericht door v1nce »

Heb het aangepast voor meneer. En zo heeft iedereen zijn last te dragen.... Zo moet ik me weer schikken in het feit dat ik een leuke thread post met leuke teksten en dat de enige bijdrage van anderen tot dusver gaat over het omdraaien van jawel,.. twee letters. Ik vrees dat dat feit een stuk moeilijker te verbeteren is dan een typefout.
;)
Vincere
Supreme Grandmaster

Bericht door Vincere »

Als je maar weet dat de door jou zo verachte WoW-spelers regelmatig dat soort fouten maken. ;)

v1nce

Bericht door v1nce »

Een van mijn beste vrienden is een WOW speler!

I am NOT a WOWphobic!!
I don't mind Wowplayers,.. as long as they stay the hell away from me!

;)

Nah, het gekke is dat het nog waar is ook. Een van mijn oudste vrienden woont 5 min lopen van mijn huis. Ken hem nu 15 jaar. Op de middelbare gingen dagelijks met elkaar om op en na school.

Maar ook hij is ten gronde gericht door WOW!! Speelt bijna elke dag een raid soms halve dag lang. :)

Soms ga ik wel eens kijken terwijl die speelt en als die klaar is met raid spelen we wel eens SKATE of Guitar Hero of maakt die subliem lekker eten.

Speel jij nou WOW Vincere?
Vincere
Supreme Grandmaster

Bericht door Vincere »

Ik heb het vroeger wel gespeeld, toch een jaar of anderhalf. Ik snap best wel wat jij en Tim bedoelen, maar ik hoop toch ook dat je niet iedereen op die manier over een kam scheert. Ik heb door WoW veel nieuwe vrienden gemaakt, oude vrienden beter leren kennen, er een Zweeds vriendinnetje aan overgehouden, en gewoon veel plezier gehad. De sociale aspecten kunnen ook heel erg meevallen. Als raidleader doe je echt niet onder voor een projectleider hoor. Wat een groepje mensen dat elkaar nog nooit heeft gezien soms tezamen weet klaar te spelen, is best wel knap. Maar op een gegeven moment werd het voor mij te repetitief en toen mijn zuurverdiende spullen door de uitbreiding nutteloos werden (want levelcap werd verhoogd) heb ik er de brui aangegeven. Later heb ik de eerste uitbreiding alsnog aangeschaft, om dat oude gevoel weer eens terug te hebben (ontdekken van nieuwe gebieden enz.) maar ook dat heb ik niet lang volgehouden. Zo goed als 'vanilla' WoW is het niet meer geworden, en bovendien zat ik toch te vaak in het buitenland. Maar ondanks alles kan je zeggen wat je wilt, het is echt wel een goed spel (geweest?) en wat het voor de online MMORPG markt heeft gedaan is ook niet te vergeten. Ik hoop echt dat Star Wars: The Old Republic net zo goed wordt, want dan wil ik het best wel weer oppakken.

Hoe dan ook, ik weet niet precies meer wat jouw argumenten waren, maar ik hoop bij deze dat je het ook eens in een ander licht kunt bezien. Maar eigenlijk denk ik dat je dat stiekem ook wel doet. ;)

v1nce

Bericht door v1nce »

Ach, tis gewoon een spel. Ik snap prima dat mensen spellen spelen. Zelfs spellen die per definitie alleen worden gespeeld bijvoorbeeld niet online RPG PC spellen of zo. Doe/deed ik immers ook.

Tja,.. WOW. Ik sluit nog steeds niet uit dat ik het ooit zal spelen maar acht de kans wel klein. Juist ook omdat ik niet denk immuun te zijn. Wie weet zou ik het ook 4 of meer uur per dag gaan spelem en zou ik dus per definitie allemaal dingen missen die ik voor mij stuk waardevoller vind.

Wat ik wel bezwaarlijk vond aan WOW is dat nogal veel van de spelers (let wel, zeker niet alle) die ik meemaakte het gebruikte als een substituut dan wel excuus om niet in real life te socializen. Tel daarbij het feit op dat het nogal verslavend is voor velen en ook nog maandelijks wat geld kost en zie daar mijn bedenkingen.

Natuurlijk zullen sommige mensen het wel omzetten in iets wat je als real life socializing kan betitelen maar dat lijken er maar weinig. Het leent zich daar maar matig toe. Je speelt immers vaak met mensen die in andere steden of zelf continenten wonen. En als ik dus mensen zie die er nogal onwezenlijk en beetje wereldvreemd en half depri van worden,.. Dan denk ik, zonde! Ik gun die mensen wel iets beters.

Ik kan daarbij opmerken dat sommige mensen die vroeger best vaak in real life roleplayden (bijv. met Cali) op een gegeven moment dat steeds minder gingen doen en dat viel echt behoorlijk samen met de populariteit van WOW toendertijd. Dat bleek wel uit het feit dat die gasten soms zelfs tijdens de DnD sessie obsessief veel praten over WOW. Uiteraard vond ik dat wel zonde. Voor het RPGen, het forum maar vooral ook voor die gasten zelf!

Daarnaast is er ook nog de kwestie van smaak wat betreft het uiterlijk van het spel en hoge munchkin gehalte (idd heeeel repetitief) maar dat vind ik eigenlijk stuk minder belangrijk.
v1nce

Bericht door v1nce »

Overigens komen veel van de qoutes hierboven hier van daan:

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/ ... 38;D?pg=22
v1nce

Bericht door v1nce »

Me: I play dnd
Him: So...you sit around getting high pretending to be elves?
Me: Sure, why not. (sarcastically)
Him: If I join, can I skip the whole pretending to be elves part?
Me: um I gotta go.

--
When I got my first dnd books one of my freinds ordered the core rulebook set online for me and had them shipped to my house. My mom was home when they came and, wondering what I would be getting a package for, opened them. When I got home, she was waiting for me with the books laid out on the table and proceeded to lecture me for an hour and a half and threatened to throw them out. Long story short, I begged, she gave in, and I had to have counseling with my families preacher for a month.
--

I was running a game of Cthulhu Live at a convention and we were at a scene were the cultist were going to sacrifice a woman and the PCs had to stop them. All of our NPCs were wearing white robes and the girl to be sacrificed was lying on the ground with the cultist around her when the security guard walked in. He stopped dead in his tracks and said "oookaay" and slowly backed out of the room and shut the door. Not to mention the mood was totally ruined after that since everyone there burst a gut, laughing.

--
This actually happened to my friend Jenna, who is our current DM, at a gaming store:

Jenna: Do you have any figurines of Drow?

Guy behind the counter: *blank stare*

Jenna: You know Drow...black skinned elves with white hair that are usually evil.

GBC: That's the first time I've ever heard a female use that term correctly.

LMAO when she told us this. In general, the weirdest DnD reactions I get are: "But you're a girl?!?"

Incidentally, my gaming group is made up of 5 college age women. We get some interesting looks when we go to Bizarro World to buy dice...lol
v1nce

Bericht door v1nce »

was waiting for a bus to go to work. had a few books i had just bought in my backpack (dmg and mm) as im waiting for the bus a van stops and 2 guys in suits get out. some old guy and like his 16yr old nephew or something....anyway they come up and ask me if ive ever heard of jesus. im like..."excuse me?" and they proceed to explain they are jehovahs witness and are trying to spread his word....and they had pamphlets...wich they offered me. so i respond with: "well actually i already have some reading material" and i show them my dnd books. at this point the younger one looks about ready to crap himself or passout...and the older guy just backs away. they get in the van and literally lay down rubber getting away. i couldnt stop laughing. the first set of villans in my game were based on those 2.

--
Well, at first it seemed like a dream come true. This girl I was on a date with asked what my hobbies were, so naturally I said, "I do dnd when i get the chance." She got all excited and asked if she could come to the next session. Of course, I was thrilled, so I didn't stop to question my good fortune. I agreed to bring her along to my next game.

About a week later, I pick her up to head over to my friend's place for the next session. I told her I'd explain how to play and everything once we arrived, but she said that she'd seen enough of it to know the basics. This surprised me, because she didn't seem the type who'd played dnd before. Great looking, one of the "in-crowd" (not quite sure why she went out with me in the first place), and always surrounded by giggling girlfriends. I just mentally shrugged and decided to reserve judgments until we arrived. So, we got to the place and went into the living room where we played. About half the group, 3 or 4 people, were already there and getting set up.

Then, the girl, I kid you not, asks, "So, when do we eat the fetus?"

The rest of us just sort of stood there, b/c she had asked it in a very serious voice, not joking in the least. I just mumbled an apology to the rest of the group, led her back to the car, drove her home, and never spoke to her again.

That was the day I found out why the "in-crowd" was so exclusive, I guess.
Thekkur
Forum Master

Bericht door Thekkur »

erg amusant! :) Het duurde desalniettemin een tijdje voordat ik doorhad dat de quotes niet van jou zelf waren maar van anderen haha
"Stop! Jullie komen niet langs mij! Glupert heeft jullie snode plannen door!"
v1nce

Bericht door v1nce »

Was het maar zo! Wel cool een Bike Gang met een D20 op de rug. Zal eens gaan praten met de Hell's Angels. :)
Thekkur
Forum Master

Bericht door Thekkur »

Ah well, je hebt in elk geval iets om over te praten. :)

Wat betreft dat gildehuis overhoop halen... denk dat daarn iemand van wakker ligt? Behalve misschien de bovenbuurman :D
v1nce

Bericht door v1nce »

Hmm,.. het is dubbel. Ergens zou ik elke dag heel graag met een pentagram en Anarchisten Crass Logo, een D20 Patch op mijn jas en tal meer van die dingen lopen. Met het idee dat als je dan erop aangesproken word het ook vaak toffe gasten (en wellicht zelfs chicks) zullen zijn die excited zijn dat ze met iemand kunnen praten de het ook begrijpt! De manier om gelijkgestemde zielen te vinden lijkt me zo.

Anderzijs word je denk ik vaak gestigmatiseerd word, moet je jezelf keer op keer jezelf nader verklaren in niet interresante, repetitieve gesprekken en tijdens werk lijkt het me ook niet optimaal.

Toch zit er ik wel aan te denken om een Jas of Patch te maken met alle bovenstaande elementen en meer. Lijkt me wel cool.
v1nce

Bericht door v1nce »

Nice!!! D20 Patches zijn te krijgen! :)

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... %26hl%3Den

Fijne URL ook...
Thekkur
Forum Master

Bericht door Thekkur »

een tattoo van een d20 in je nek werkt ook goed. iemand een RRPG T-shirt kopen? :)
Mike74
Ridder

Bericht door Mike74 »

Toen ik pas begonnen was met D&D/ODM heb ik ook wel eens wat klunzige pogingen gedaan mijn hobby uit te leggen.. Een keer was waarlijk memorabel: na 10 minuten van alles verteld te hebben aan een gast waar ik mee op de middelbare school zat keek hij me na mijn uitleg heel lang en intens aan en zei na een minuut stilte nogal twijfelend: "Dus.. je gaat met zijn allen in trans?".. (doodserieus!)
v1nce

Bericht door v1nce »

Tja is een kunst die bijna net zo moeilijk is om te leren als GMen! Het uitleggen aan leken wat DnD nou precies is.

Ik merk dat uitleg met steekwoorden: Bordspel, interactief verhaal, speelt een personage, Tolkien, dobbelstenen en eigen invloed etc goed werken.

Woorden als Rollespel, Elfjes, XP, Thaco of andere game mechanical termen,... don't do it! Al heel snel zie je mensen dan denken: "Ok..,.. volgens mij doet die gast aan BDSM achtige spelletjes met rollen spelen, hij is werelvreemd en NERRRDDD! Waar heeft die het over?!"

Het is mij wel vaak gelukt om het goed uit te leggen en mensen echt enthousiast te maken. Maar seeying en doing is believing. Van de 15 of zo mensen die voor het eerst het spel speelden en dus mij als GM hadden vonden ze het allemaal supertof, ook al hadden sommige aanvankelijk bedenkingen. Van alle mensen die ik er over sprak zijn er sommige toch niet helemaal overtuigd geraakt. Helaas. Maar ze kregen iig een duidelijker en positiever beeld.
Laatst gewijzigd door v1nce op zaterdag 23 januari 2010, 16:52, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.
v1nce

Bericht door v1nce »

Well being raised in the rural South and in the Bible belt no less learning how to play AD&D was a challenge. I started playing when I was 15, a friend had a band mate that was a little older than we were so he'd GM for us. We'd go spend the weekend at his house and we'd start playing at midnight.

Now, my father is a good man, a mechanic worked hard all his life. I watched once when he was trying to get a bus started putting gasoline in the carborator. The bottle caught on fire and he held it until he could be sure my deaf friend and I were clear before he got rid of it.

He never learned how to read, but he's never seemed to need to. When I admitted I was playing D&D he got really angry, worried I was going to Hell etc. So whenever I would buy a book he'd look it over, flip through all the pages and if he saw a dragon anywhere in the book I had to take it back into the shop.

One night we were sitting on the porch and he said, "Son, I hope you aren't upset I won't let you play that Dungeons and Demons game, but I love you and I just want you to be safe."

I said, "Dad, you raised me to know right from wrong, didn't you?" He said that he tried his best. I then said, "Then why are you doubting I learned it?"

That's when he patted me on the shoulder and said, "Well tomorrow let's go get you some of those books you keep trying to buy."
v1nce

Bericht door v1nce »

At my nephew's birthday party this last weekend, his father (our old elven fighter) and I began talking about the game and how he wishes he had time to get back into it (rough schedule, but he asked if I'd DM something for him and the kids if he could ever manage it). His mother (Solo Elite Fiend From Hell Level 45 at least, immortal because true evil never dies), snidely remarked "You still play that?" Before I could answer, my nephew popped her with a nerf missile and said "Shut it!"

What could I say? I high-fived the little dude! (He seemed interested in playing, so we might try to set something brief up for New Year's.)

(Before anyone complains about lack of respect for grandma, let's just say that she has issues. She's one of those people who can't be happy unless someone is fighting and the kids have recognized this and know how to tell when she's trying to start something. Seriously, this is how we have to deal with her.)
v1nce

Bericht door v1nce »

I had a...rather interesting one today.

I was on Enworld in the main computer lab on campus between classes, when an older (60-ish) professor walked by. I use the default black background for Enworld, so according to some friends of mine it looks like a lot of the WoW forums out there; as he passed, he said "World of Warcraft, I'm sure?" in a snarky tone of voice, rolled his eyes, and kept walking. I said, "No, actually; D&D."

He stopped, turned around, and with an incredulous tone of voice said "D&D? Really?" He asked a bunch of questions like "Do people still play in Dragonlance?" and "Are they on 3rd edition yet?" When he was done asking questions we talked about various D&D things like his older characters and fun things about 2e, and when he eventually left, he gave me a high five (strangely enough) and said "You know, I might just have to get back into that," looking very thoughtful as he walked away.

I felt pretty good about myself, particularly when a junior sitting near me came up and asked "Dude, how did you get the ****ing Dean of Computer Science just give you a high-five!?" Apparently, not only will the number of D&D players on campus probably increase by 1 in the near future, but I now have friends in high places. :D
v1nce

Bericht door v1nce »

I dunno if we can call it a weird response, but it's a story I like telling that I think this group will appreciate. I have a canned response I've been saying for a while in defense of D&D. My girl's daddy is a baptist preacher and she was raised with a strict upbringing, including believing D&D was evil, til she eventually figured out that was just silly. Now it came time to tell momma that the guy her girl's been spending time with plays D&D.

My girlfriend's mom... I tell her I won't be taking her daughter out next Friday because that's when our D&D group meets.

Her response: But... I thought you were a Christian.

Me: I am. You've probably heard that I've very active in my church, and volunteer with the student ministry.

Her: Doesn't your church have a problem with the game?

Me: They shouldn't. You know, if someone told you it was Satanic, they really did a disservice. People are just naturally afraid of what they don't understand. Truth of the matter is, it's a complex game, and a great number of people can't understand the vocabulary - I learned what a portcullis was playing D&D at a very young age - or do the math necessary to play well (note: this was prior to 4e, this isn't the place for the "4e dumbed it down" discussion). So they give it a bad rap. The same people who started the "D&D is evil" garbage are the same idiots who told the generation before mine that the jitterbug would turn kids into drug fiends or the generation after mine that Harry Potter led to witchcraft. Society hasn't learned a damn thing since the red scare, the Salem witch trials, or even the holocaust. Look for devils all you'd like, you won't find them in my dice bag.

At this point, my girlfriend's laughing her ass off and her mom looks at me with an open-mouth gape. My girl, turns and looks to me and says:

"She didn't want me to buy (her son) the Harry Potter books because of witchcraft."

and her mom follows up by telling me her school didn't allow dancing. This followed by "okay, whatever... play your D&D." and she doesn't have a problem with my teaching her grandson how to play.

Fight the good fight, brothers and sisters... fight the good fight.
Plaats reactie