Looking for role-players

Als je op zoek bent naar een groep, spelers of een GM in de omgeving van Rotterdam.
Plaats reactie
Healer
Horige

Looking for role-players

Bericht door Healer »

Good Day everyone.

Me and my girlfriend are gamers from Poland. We came to Rotterdam and plan to stay here for about a year so we want to contact local role-players. Not only to play, but also to hang up with (we are new here and we don't know many people). We live in the center near Willemsplain.
The disadvantage is that we don't speak Dutch so we'd like to play in English =)

Our preferred gaming style is storytelling with or without dice. We are not roll-players :P

Because I work on evenings I don't have so much time but we can always arrange something =)

What systems do you play?

One last question:
Where are the rpg-shops in Rotterdam?
Laatst gewijzigd door Healer op woensdag 2 april 2008, 0:32, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.
Thekkur
Forum Master

Bericht door Thekkur »

Hey healer! Good to hear that people from poland also find their way to this forum! Especially because the bigger part is in dutch :) I guess for most of the regular visitors gaming in english isn't much of a problem. Some already do so.

For me, I play on and off, although I try to maintain a a game with DrCaligari an Nehalennia once a week. When I play, I prefer dnd3e edition, but with little use of rules or dice.

As for the RPG-shops; there's about three stores that sell rpg stuff, of which only one also hosts games.
Donner (giant books store at the Nieuwebinnenwegplein)
Yendor (close to the V&D, in the Korte Hoogstraat)
Freetime Warrior (In the Jonker Fransstraat, which is the continuation of the Meent which runs past the upper part of the market.) The Freetime Warrior hosts magic an rpg games almost daily.
"Stop! Jullie komen niet langs mij! Glupert heeft jullie snode plannen door!"
richard leeuw
Leenheer

Bericht door richard leeuw »

poland? nice pleace man!

we (a group in spijkenisse) play an eberron campaign now.
one of the players also organizes swordfighting holidays in poland. if your interested...

ciao!
v1nce

Bericht door v1nce »

Welcome to the boards healer.

One small correction: The Freetime Warrior has CCG and Warhammer type games almost daily but they almost never have RPG at all there. Though there isn't any reason why you couldn't run a game there if you found players elsewhere (not many at all at the shop).
Healer
Horige

Bericht door Healer »

Thekkur: it wasn't that difficult - google is almighty :D Though writing something in discussions might be a problem.

Last two days I visited Yendor and Freetime Warrior, and I found it's hard to get anything that is not WoD and d20. But the guy at Freetime Warrior said I can always order something =)

Richard: Eberron sounds interesting - from wiki I found isn't like steampunk with magic instead of steam.
I may be interested in going there but I don't know when I'll be in Poland next time so for now I'd rather do something in the Netherlands =)

V1nce: place for playing isn't a problem - finding a party is =)

As for me, I started playing in 1996, and I'm also a game master. But I don't have any handbooks with me and I don't know D&D very much.
Thekkur
Forum Master

Bericht door Thekkur »

So what kind of systems do you play?
Healer
Horige

Bericht door Healer »

Many =)

I've played Warhammer Ied, Shadowrun, Call of Cthulhu, Cyberpunk, Earthdown, 7th Sea, Lot5R, MERP, Wod and the Dark Ages

My girlfriend besides that knows also: Fading Suns, Dead Lands and Hell on Earth, Star Wars, D&D: DL&FR

I've played some games of D&D and d20 modern, but I've never been a GM, and I'm not a big fan of d20 mechanic.

P.S. Plus few polish systems.
Thekkur
Forum Master

Bericht door Thekkur »

That's a lot of systems! Funny to hear that in the end you don't use any at all :) Could you play regularly? Or on an incidental basis?
Healer
Horige

Bericht door Healer »

We want to play regularly, about once every 2 weeks (maybe a little more often).

The problem is that i work on weekend evenings (from about 2-3pm.). So I can play anytime during the week (if I don't work that day) or weekend mornings =)

Is anyone interested in playing with us(or try some new systems)? =)
Healer
Horige

Bericht door Healer »

I want to run an Earthdawn campaign. I need about 2-3 more players.

It is funny, that knowing so many systems I still cannot play. That only confirms that in RPG the most important thing is to have a party =)

Also this wednesday I'm going to "freetime warrior" for a gaiming night. Is anyone going to be there?

/Sorry for dubbleposting/
v1nce

Bericht door v1nce »

Yo Healer,

Maybe i should level with ya so you don't end up frustrated or disappointed,... In my and best friend's (Caligari) experience RPG ing in R'dam is very tenuous and hard to do for more than 1 or 2 sessions,...

Maybe 50% of the reason for this is that He and I have high standards but the other 50% is that it seems there are truly few active roleplayers that make rpg ing a priority and weekly commitment no matter their experience level or how much fun it can be.

I am not saying it can't be done, i am not saying don't try,...! I am saying expect very little!

I am basing this on 3 years of putting in a lot of work, trying our utmost to get a longer term campaign going and playing with over 15 people. Our best effort was having about 5 sessions with the same group before it all broke down again and having to start all over from scratch,.. and that is with us playing DnD in Dutch, the fact you play systems that almost nobody here plays AND in English makes it all that much harder.

The freetime warrior is really rather nerdy (even for me though i consider myself a nerd!!) in the sense that the nerds there are pretty socially ehm odd, and are mostly interested in CCG and talking munchkin smack. RPG ing there is real rare and i have never heard of a good game taking place there. Though there once was a DM that used to visit the shop as well as this forum who was a great DM but a total bastard as a person (not just my opinion). The guy got more or less banned from the shop,..

I do not know anyone that visits this forum that goes to the shop more than once every three months, most have never gone there,.. Perhaps i am wrong about the shop, perhaps it has changed, i have not been there for a while so it could be,..

The above experiences were highly frustrating for us and i'd hate for you to have to feel that way even a little.

Regardless of anything i say, this forum is a great place, the few regulars and mods are really great people that have helped me out more than once! So, it is still very nice to come here.
Healer
Horige

Bericht door Healer »

Thanks for writing all this =)
Nevertheless I'll go to that shop today with expectations of playing some board games with random people =)
I don't know anybody here so that place is a good place to start.

I also have high standards because often it is hard to find time for a game so when I do I expect something more than hack'n'slash (which of course can be fun from time to time) and telling jokes.
Even though i cannot promise gaming every week I still would like to find a party in this faraway country and play more or less regularly for a longer time =)
As I said before - I'm a gamemaster, but only in that new strange systems. =)
I can play DnD, but I don't know enough to run a good game.

The best I've come up with for now is to look for roleplayers on i-net forums and in shops. If that won't do I'll just have to wait till I return to Poland =)

P.S. I hope that in a few months my dutch will be good enough to allow me to read and write here =)
v1nce

Bericht door v1nce »

Thanks for writing all this =)

No prob., glad you take it as helpfull.

Nevertheless I'll go to that shop today with expectations of playing some board games with random people =)

That should be feasible/seems like a good outlook, you probably found that a fair amount of people there do speak english very well including the owner (hey you didn't tell him what i said about his patrons, did ya,..? I'd hate to be smacked by him.

I don't know anybody here so that place is a good place to start.

Definitaly.

I also have high standards because often it is hard to find time for a game so when I do I expect something more than hack'n'slash (which of course can be fun from time to time) and telling jokes.

Agree 100%! Though to keep it real, we perhaps had even more and bigger expectations.

Even though i cannot promise gaming every week I still would like to find a party in this faraway country and play more or less regularly for a longer time =)

You never know!

As I said before - I'm a gamemaster, but only in that new strange systems. =)

I can play DnD, but I don't know enough to run a good game.

Dnd is easy as heck if you are a good DM in any other system.

The best I've come up with for now is to look for roleplayers on i-net forums and in shops. If that won't do I'll just have to wait till I return to Poland =)

P.S. I hope that in a few months my dutch will be good enough to allow me to read and write here =)

Good Luck!
Plaats reactie